Friday, August 20, 2004

Apostle guessing game, for your own reasons, and

There is a great post by Dustin over at Gnitsud about doing things for your own reasons. I think anyone who knows me well can tell you that I have always had this independent streak in me that drives me to be my own person and do things for my own reasons. I grew up in an ultra conservative, very tiny town, where gossip ran rampant and rumors were all too easily spread. This kind of environment led many people to constantly worry about what others were thinking of them. People didnt speak up in class (because why should they if nobody else was), we didnt do creative or crazy things, most of the time we just went to a movie or watched a movie (there were plenty of opportunities, farming towns dont have alot of entertainment), speaking up for what you believed to be right was almost nonexistent (not that people didnt do what was right, but expressing an opinion contrary to that of the masses was a shocking thing to do). We all dressed the same, talked the same, looked the same, acted the same.

I never went through any great rebellion (well too a point), I think I am still your typical Mormon Co-Ed, but every once in awhile I see a difference come out. Many times people will say something like "What will everyone say", or "I feel so stupid in front of anyone", my reply is always the same, WHO CARES? I do things for myself and not for other people. Dustin talks about a friend of a friend who walked out of a movie on a date. I say that you can get an idea of what kind of a movie it is from the previews, and you probably knew what it was going to be like walking into it. Or else try doing your homework next time, find out what kind of stuff you are going to be subjecting yourself too before you plunk down your hard down money for it.

Basically the purpose of this post was for me to say to everyone out there, please just do things for your own reasons. Who cares what it looks like or what others think of it. If it makes you happy then its probably okay. I am not perfect at this, but I am working at it.
Dustin states
"How exactly does the perceptions of others really effect who you are? Are you so insecure that you’re validity and successfulness in your pursuits in life are nullified by the opinions of others? If so, wow...it sucks to be you."
I couldn't agree any more.

Website of the Day-Take a guess at who will be the next apostle.

Blog of the Day-Gnitsud
Run by-Dustin
Subject-Pretty random ramblings, the highlight being the movie quotes that are thrown in throughout all of the posts. Also if you didnt catch it, Gnitsud is Dustin spelled backwards. Pretty clever.
Tagline- Me, in hindsight.
Favorite post-The one that I referenced from today.


No comments:

 
Who links to me?